The J57 turbojet can trace its origins back to the T-45 turboprop engine which was originally developed for the XB-52 Stratofortress. As the XB-52 program evolved it became clear that greater power requirements would be needed and the J57 series of engines was developed.
Due to it’s dual-rotor axial-flow compressor, which allowed lower fuel consumption and improve acceleration over earlier jet engines, the J57 became the first production jet engine to develop over 10,000 lbs. of thrust. Entering production in 1953 the last production was finally ended in 1970, with more than 21,000 of the J57 and its civilian equivalent the JT3 being produced.
The J57 / JT3 powered some of the most famous jet aircraft in history such as: The worlds first supersonic fighter the F-100 Super Saber, F-102 Delta Dagger, Boeing 707 airliner, Douglas DC-8 airliner and of course the CF-101 Voodoo.
The museum’s example is the J57-P-55 version, Two of these engines were used to power the CF-101B/F Voodoo the intercepter version of the McDonnell Douglas F-101 Voodoo. In fact the engine displayed at ACAM came from the last flying Voodoo in the world. CF-101 (101006) ended her flying days when she landed at CFB Greenwood, had her engines removed and was trucked to CFB Cornwallis to be put on display as a gate guard. The engines were then brought to the Atlantic Canada Aviation Museum in May of 1987.
Length: 251.93 inches
Diameter: 40.5 inches
Weight: 5,215 lbs. (dry)
Thrust: 10,700 lbs at military power – 16,900 lbs. in afterburner